Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Grab your stick!

So, this is my first post on this blog and I'd thought I'd nerd out about some really good news.

They're making a Ghostbusters 3!!!!

And...

Bill Murry will reprise his role of Dr. Peter Venkman and... he's actually excited about doing it!!!!

I remember the night I first saw the original Ghostbusters. It was the night after Thanks Giving and I was either 9 or 10. It was on TV and all the good parts had been altered or removed completely to protect the fragile minds of TV viewers. But, I didn't care. There were bright lights and creepy noises and hideous ghosts flying around the screen. I was in heaven sitting there munching on Turkey Day leftovers and watching three of the funniest guys ever and one slightly amusing but totally cool black dude battle spectres and Demon Gods with nuclear powered backpacks. That night a nerd was born in front of that dusty television set. A nerd who dreamed of catching slimy ghosts in his lazer lasso and trapping them in a small containment box. A nerd who hoped to be at least half as hillarious as Bill Murray was in that movie. In my opinion, the Original Ghostbuster remains the best high-concept big budget comedy movie to this day. Oh, Tropic Thunder came close. It came very close. But nothing will ever top the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man marching down the streets of New York. Or Sigourney Weaver sprawled out in her bed in a slinky orange number panting like an over sexed dog and declaring that, "There is no Dana, only Zuul."

Ghostbusters 3 had been stuck in development Hell ever since the Ghostbusters 2 hit the theaters. The main thing holding it up was Bill Murray's refusal to pick up the stick again. He wasn't too happy with the second one(And neither was I. It was good, but not Ghostbusters 1 good.) and felt that a third one would marr the classicness of the first one even more. Bill Murray contends that the first 40 minutes of the original is some of the best stuff he's ever been associated with but now that the wounds of the second one are healed and his voice work re-iginited his passion for the story, he is excited about the prospect of making another now. Ghostbusters 2 was an interesting movie in the sense that it felt more like the third movie. In fact, most of my friends kept saying it was the third one but when asked what the plot of the second one was couldn't say. The movie picked up five years after the first and they are slowly coming to terms with the fact that they are now has-beens. The second one would have been better if they were smack dab in the middle of their fame. They just saved the world from total destruction and are reveling in their super-star status. Let them be Gods for an hour or so and then have something major happen that strips them of their fame. That would have been a good sequel. I think anway.

It's been nearly 20 years since the Ray and Peter, Egon and Ernie Hudson defeated that guy in the painting with the big head and his creepy french cohort who seriously wanted to make it with Sigourney. I am confident that enough time has passed that they have learned from their mistakes and are ready to come back in full swing. And I'm sure that Bill Murray is going to make sure that this one will at least be as good as the original(Hell, it could possibly top it, but I'm not gonna hold my breath). Mr. Murray is very protective of that first movie and would fight to keep any sequel from further tarnishing the original, the classic, the masterpiece that was Ghostbusters.


Okay, I have exercised the nerdiness from my body and I should be okay.

For now...

No comments: